This afternoon, I co-presented a one-hour session on Louisiana appellate practice for the Louisiana State Bar Association’s “Bridging the Gap” seminar. This seminar is for newly minted lawyers; the idea is to bridge the gap between law school and practice. For anyone who may be interested, here are links to my PowerPoint presentation and written materials.
Below are some supplemental materials that I suggested. First, some sample pleadings and briefs. Treat them only as samples, not as models. Use them with caution, as the rules may have changed since these were written.
- Sample notice of intent to seek supervisory writ
- Sample supervisory-writ application
- Sample motion and order for devolutive appeal
- Sample motion and order for suspensive appeal
- Sample brief filed in court of appeal
- Sample writ application filed in La. Supreme Court
- Sample merits brief filed in La. Supreme Court